Skip to main content
NOTE:

    I had originally written this blog in another site. Since that site is no longer accessible, I am uploading it in this blog at http://fewidlethoughts.blogspot.in/ using (or attempting to use) the same date as the original blog dates.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

    I am a fan of Star Trek. This blog
contains my impressions on the serial,
as a whole. If you want to learn more
about the show, go to
http://www.startrek.com.

    When television was first launched in
India, one of the highlights of Sunday
morning (before Ramayana and
Mahabharata, of course !) was Star
Trek. For many aficionados of Star
Trek, the original show (TOS) is the
best of the series. After TOS, there
have been four other in the series,
viz. Star Trek : The Next Generation
(TNG), Star Trek : Deep Space Nine,
Star Trek : Voyager and Star Trek
Enterprise. In India, TNG and
Voyager are currently being shown in
private televisions channels. I can
comment only on these, in this blog !

    Personally, I find that I like
Voyager the best simply because of a
couple of memorable characters and the
way they develop in the series. The
basic idea of Voyager is also engaging
: the star ship is adrift 70,000 light
years from home and has to get back
from an area that has never been
covered earlier. I remember reading one
comment that the series is nothing but
Homer's Odysseus recast in the 24th
century ! It may well be so, but the
way it is recast is still fresh. As a
famous quotation goes, there is nothing
new under the sun. Will fans of Sholay
feel that the movie is worthless since
it is but  the Ramayana updated ? Think
about it !

    In my opinion, fans who look to the
story line and the "science" part of
the science fiction in Star Trek will
be disappointed. It is not so much the
science as a couple of new ideas (in
each series) that make Star Trek the
serial it is. I feel that the idea of a
progressive humanity that keeps the
peace in the future and the characters
that make up the storylines are part of
the appeal of Star Trek. In addition,
each series has some new things.
Everything was new in TOS. In TNG, the
Borg, "Q" and the holodeck are the
additions that enrich the series. In
Voyager, I find that it is again the
elaboration of the idea of the Borg
that make for its appeal. Finally,
though, it is the characters and the
culture and relationships among them
that makes the show number one for me !
This is true right from the first
series, Star Trek : TOS.

    The show had some memorable
characters. First, there was the cold,
logical Mr. Spock whose eyebrows rose
remarkably whenever he heard something
(in his view !) illogical or
fascinating. Then, the inimitable Dr.
"Bones" Mc Coy with his caustic wit.
Captain James Tiberius Kirk was the
typical selfless leader, willing to do
anything for his crew and his ship.
Similarly, Montgomery Scott was also
passionate about his starship. I
remember that in one episode, Chief
Engineer Scott showed this passion : he
let an insult to his captain go
unpunished, but picked up a quarrel
when his beloved ship "Enterprise" was
targeted ! Even the "lesser" characters
like Messrs. Chekov, Sulu and Lt. Uhura
all played their part in building the
foundations for a series that would
continue to endure.

    Since then, the show has come a long
way. TOS developed the idea of a sort
of "UN" of nations in the Federation
and also introduced the old idea of
warring races by pitting the Klingons
against the Federation. The Romulans,
another warring race, are also
introduced in TOS. As a race, this is
an arch enemy that continues even in
Star Trek : Voyager. In Star Trek : The
Next Generation, the Klingons are in an
uneasy truce with the Federation, but
we find another race that is at odds
with the Federation : the Cardassians.
The Cardassians also forge a treaty,
but there is a rebellion against this
treaty that begins in Star Trek : TNG
and continues in Star Trek : Voyager.

    In all these series, the protagonists
stick to the idea expressed by Captain
Kirk : to cross "space, the final
frontier" and "boldly go where no one
has ever gone before" ! I hope that
future movies and series continue to
stick to these ideals of exploration in
Star Trek !

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    =============================
    COMMON BLOG INTRODUCTION TEXT
    =============================

When I created my first blog, I
thought I was being clever by being
anonymous and let my opinions speak for
themselves (see the archive !) Imagine
my embarrassment when I saw my name
displayed ! So now, while I still
retain the blog name as "Anonymous
Expressions", I will only request you
to ignore my name and concentrate on my
opinions instead !

All copyrights are acknowledged.

The opinions expressed in the Weblogs
are my personal opinions. Please tell
me if you don't like the way I have
expressed a view. If I can see your
point, I will correct the mistake. You
can contact me by emailing me at
sweety_jd@rediffmail.com
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Comments