Skip to main content
CAR, BIKE AND THE RAINS

I have a car to drive now. I learnt driving a car in the beginning of 2004, but learning to drive and actually driving one's own car are two different things ! I am now better at driving the car than when I first got it more than a couple of months ago. In my own judgement, there is some way to go before I become happy about it. My parking skills can improve and I don't have the comfort that should come when one drives a good car. .... and my car is the best in the world, of course :-)) .... Never mind the Maybachs and the Mercedeses of the world ! Apart from the psychological feeling of discomfort, the fuel bills of my car shocked me in the first month.

As a result, I happily return to the motorbike during the weekends. In a way, along with me, my car gets a break during the weekends :-) .... and my motorbike and helmet, conversely, come alive during the weekend breaks !

The rains are heavy in my city this year. It is when the rain pours in the evenings that I feel buying the car is worthwhile. With wipers on and the rain beating down the windshield and the top of the car, I feel thankful that I have the body of the car as protection. See my post on 06-Sep-03, which has details of my experience while driving a bike in the rain.

Now, winter is slowly setting into my city. The onset of winter this year has been heralded by rains, but the nature of the rains now is different compared to the ones earlier this year. Rather, these rains are drizzles that feel cold. Generally, they don't last long either. Once the drizzles do stop, the world becomes a better place to live in ! Today, I experienced the transformation for myself.

I was on my motorbike when a drizzle unexpectedly started. As usual, I did not stop, particularly since the distance that I had to cover was not too long. The drizzle hardly made any sound as it came down. It was a kind of spray that came down rather than the normal lashes of the monsoon rain. The breeze that was along with the spray was cool.

Soon, the rain stopped. I had a broad and mostly empty road in front of me. As I pressed the accelerator, the breeze that had accompanied the drizzle whooshed against the bike. It was an exhilarating sensation to feel the fresh and cool breeze on my bare arms ! Unfortunately, the empty road wasn't empty for too long.

As I reached my destination, I realised that my arms were cooler due to the breeze. I guess that winter is coming early to my city. The funny thing is that inside my car, this would just have been a trifling rain which I would not think about later. Now, on the bike, I can learn something more : the first signs of a possibly cold winter ahead. I may be wrong, of course. Perhaps, it was merely a cool rain !

Yet, the experience is something that I would not have got in my car. I have got comfort in my car .... but have I lost some unique experiences in the bargain ?! Whenever I drive my motorbike, I will be wondering about this doubt !

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

NOTE:

    I had originally written this blog in another site. Since that site is no longer accessible, I am uploading it in this blog at http://fewidlethoughts.blogspot.in/ using the same date as the original blog dates.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
=====  COMMON TEXT FOR ALL BLOGS  =====

++++++ BEGINS ++++++

When I created my first blog, I thought I was
being clever by being "anonymous" and let my
opinions speak for themselves (see the archive !)
Imagine my embarrassment when I saw my name
displayed ! So now, while I still retain the blog
name as "Anonymous Expressions", I will only
request you to ignore my name and concentrate on
my opinions instead !

All copyrights and trademarks are acknowledged as
the properties of their owners.

The opinions expressed in the Weblogs are my
personal opinions. Please tell me if you spot any
factual mistakes or don't like the way I have
expressed a view. If I can see your point, I will
correct the mistake. You can email me at
kiran.suma@gmail.com.

++++++ ENDS ++++++

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Comments