Skip to main content

Review of Sarkar, the movie

MY IMPRESSIONS OF "SARKAR"

    In the last couple of weeks, I saw a movie called "Sarkar".

    It stars Amitabh and his son Abhishek. In the beginning of the movie itself, the credits announce that the picture is inspired by "The Godfather" and the parallels are unmistakable. Amitabh plays Sarkar, an underworld don whose enemies are out to depose him. A few of his own associates turn backstabbers (ouch, I should have used another word !) in a power struggle to claim the title of uncrowned king of the underworld.

    Sarkar is a sort of Robinhood and the punchline of the movie is that "When the system fails, a power will rise". In the movie, it is not explained how Sarkar becomes the underworld kingpin, but it is shown that he is not all criminal. When he thinks that injustice has been done, he uses his power to set things right.

    The problem with this, of course, is that there is no way that "right" and "wrong" can be defined by one man - and accepted by society !

    As such, Sarkar is an outlaw to society and a benefactor to people whose problems he solves. However, he does have his principles and values. For instance, he castigates his elder son when he uses foul language at the dinner table ! Similarly, he refuses to indulge in extreme criminal activities and even tells his associates who want to deal in those activities that he will not let them do it. Thus, he makes enemies of his own cohorts.

    Into this scenario enters the younger son, Abhishek as Shankar, who initially says that he wants to go to America and start a consultancy with his rich girlfriend. Instead, Shankar is drawn into the underworld when local politicians, a criminal minded swami, rival underworld gangs, Sarkar's allies in the underworld and his own brother turn against Sarkar whom he worships. In his eyes, Sarkar can do no wrong.

    Kay Kay, playing the role of Sarkar's elder brother Vishnu turns in the best performance in the movie, in my opinion. His arrogance and the sense that all of Sarkar's power is his by right are depicted with a convincing intensity. The one stand out scene that earns the director my praise is when Vishnu sees a VCD of a starlet he likes. She is caught in the VCD with her boyfriend, who happens to be Vishnu's own protege. In the movie, the director shows the scene from behind the DVD player. All we get to see is the back of the TV and the player and Vishnu's eyes above it watching the VCD. Kay Kay is superb in the scene as humiliation, disbelief and of course, rage are all hinted in his eyes and face.

    Later, Vishnu is sent by Sarkar's enemies to shoot him, but Shankar is expecting that. So that plan is foiled and the scene when the younger brother Shankar confronts Vishnu is another good one. The look of utter contempt on Abhishek's face shows the talent that he has inherited from his father. The Big B himself is good, but not exceptional, in my opinion.

    The movie runs its predictable course : Sarkar is accused of an assassination. Shankar learns of it and just about saves him from an assassination attempt by his enemies. Shankar himself is almost killed, but he survives thanks to a trusted lieutenant who sacrifices himself. Then, Shankar plots to strike back ruthlessly. He does that and one by one all the underworld dons are eliminated while the criminal minded swamiji confesses to him that it is the local politician who is behind the idea of dethroning Sarkar. The politician is arrested by the CBI.

    The movie ends with a woman approaching Shankar with a plea to avenge her husband's custodial death. She gives Shankar the appellation of "Sarkar". In a sense, the mantle has passed on from father to son.

    I liked this movie. In my view it is a good adaptation of the original masterpiece. I can easily see characters like those shown in the movie in the Mumbai underworld and the acting and direction are good. The best part of this movie is the acting by Kay Kay. He holds his own with the Big B and Abhishek.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

NOTE:

    I had originally written this blog in another site. Since that site is no longer accessible, I am uploading it in this blog at http://fewidlethoughts.blogspot.in/ using the same date as the original blog dates.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
=====  COMMON TEXT FOR ALL BLOGS  =====

++++++ BEGINS ++++++

When I created my first blog, I thought I was
being clever by being "anonymous" and let my
opinions speak for themselves (see the archive !)
Imagine my embarrassment when I saw my name
displayed ! So now, while I still retain the blog
name as "Anonymous Expressions", I will only
request you to ignore my name and concentrate on
my opinions instead !

ALL COPYRIGHTS AND TRADEMARKS ARE ACKNOWLEDGED
AS THE PROPERTIES OF THEIR OWNERS.

The opinions expressed in the Weblogs are my
personal opinions. Please tell me if you spot any
factual mistakes or don't like the way I have
expressed a view. If I can see your point, I will
correct the mistake. You can email me at
kiran.suma@gmail.com.

++++++ ENDS ++++++

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Comments