Skip to main content

SHIVA AND CAPRA

SHIVA AND CAPRA

    I usually write a "quotation for the week" on my whiteboard at work. The quotation is sometimes random and sometimes related to personal or social events. Sunday, 10-Mar-13 was Maha Shivaratri and my quotation on Monday for the week ahead was a comment by the physicist Fritjof Capra : ".... Every subatomic particle not only performs an energy dance, but also is an energy dance; a pulsating process of creation and destruction…without end…For the modern physicists, then Shiva's dance is the dance of subatomic matter. ....". I have not read Capra's book "The Tao of Physics" but I must do so, eventually.

    I had a tough time writing all of the quotation into my whiteboard ! It took 4 lines, leaving lesser space for scribbling during discussions. I wrote it because I like the idea that Hindu mythology has parallels in modern physics. Then I realized I hardly understood the statement though I had written it !! What did Capra mean when he says " .... not only PERFORMS an energy dance, but also IS an energy dance ..." What is Shiva's Tandava dance supposed to represent anyway ?!

    So I did what I like to do best on weekends and searched for information on Google. What I found is what is written below as this blog !

    To begin with, the web page http://hinduism.about.com/od/lordshiva/p/nataraj.htm describes the Nataraja pose of Shiva, explaining the symbolism well. From the web page :

        "Nataraj is shown with four hands represent the cardinal directions. He is dancing, with his left foot elegantly raised and the right foot on a prostrate figure — 'Apasmara Purusha', the personification of illusion and ignorance over whom Shiva triumphs. The upper left hand holds a flame, the lower left hand points down to the dwarf, who is shown holding a cobra. The upper right hand holds an hourglass drum or 'dumroo' that stands for the male-female vital principle, the lower shows the gesture of assertion: "Be without fear."
        Snakes that stand for egotism, are seen uncoiling from his arms, legs, and hair, which is braided and bejeweled. His matted locks are whirling as he dances within an arch of flames representing the endless cycle of birth and death."

    Nataraja literally translates to the "Lord of Dance". The Nataraja pose is part of Shiva's Tandava dance, which can be Ananda Tandava or Rudra Tandava.

    Hindu mythology speaks of a never ending cycle of ages, creation and dissolution. Shiva manifests himself as Rudra and proceeds to destroy the world so that a new world and a new cycle of time can be created. In my mind I can imagine the dancing Nataraja perform the Tandava and opening his third eye to scorch the earth and reduce everything to zero, so that life can renew itself later. In this dance, can I separate the performer and the performance ?! Heeding Capra's words, I shall not - and so Shiva and the Tandava are not separate but one and the same. I can consider that the dance of destruction and the destroyer are the same during the process of destruction.

    I have seen this on a reduced scale in movies. The last picture I watched in which performer and performances blend seamlessly to create a memorable experience is in the Hindi movie "Black". Amitabh Bachchan's performance as the teacher of a blind deaf-mute is superb. I feel that nobody else could have done justice to the role of Devraj Sahai in the movie. I wrote a blog about it in 2005 but unfortunately that site is no longer accessible. The point is that in the movie, where Amitabh Bachchan ends and Devraj Sahai begins is difficult to gauge. Amitabh IS Devraj in the movie.

    In the same way, I feel that Shiva IS the Tandava dance !

    The destruction is described in http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/hmvp/hmvp37.htm. Thus, Shiva's dance is an example of destruction and also a basis for creation.

    Now, let me try and explain the science of atoms to myself first !

    In school, I learnt of atoms, protons and electrons. If I cut the chair on which I sit now (this was a favourite explanation of my father, though he liked to talk of wooden chairs or tables !), I get a piece of plastic. If I keep on splitting it, I can think of it as being composed of ploymers that define the plastic. On breaking it down further, I can visualize plastic being composed of carbon based organic compounds. If I "zoom in" further, I can concentrate on one atom of carbon, which is considered as the fundamental unit of matter. I also learned that an atom is composed of a nucleus around which electrons rotate in circular orbits. My teacher in school told me that if the atom were a football field, the nucleus would be only the size of a football and the electrons around it would orbit in spans equivalent to that of the football field. The description still stays in my head !

    This was the understanding that I gained in school and by and large the explanation is still valid.

    Now, one can go on splitting up stuff ! So, if one further splits protons, we find three elementary sub-atomic particles called as quarks. There are two "up" quarks and one "down" quark that make up a proton. The image http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Standard_Model_of_Elementary_Particles.svg describes the standard model of elementary sub-atomic particles. The link http://edition.cnn.com/2011/12/13/world/europe/higgs-boson-q-and-a explains how the Higgs boson is related to quarks.

    As of now, the quark is the lowest indivisible particle that makes up matter.

    The interesting part here is to describe how these atoms were created in the first place. This takes me to the Big Bang, the generally accepted theory of how the universe began. The idea here is that 13.7 billion years ago, all space and time was compressed in an infinitely dense point which expanded. The term normally used is "exploded", but it is more of an expansion rather than an explosion. In the first millionth of a second, space time was released and expanded. This expansion also led to the four fundamental forces, i.e. gravity, the weak force responsible for radioactive decay, the electromagnetic force responsible for attraction between magnets and the strong interactive force that holds nuclei together, being created.

    After the first second, the elementary sub-atomic particles were created, which in turn led to the formation of protons, neutrons and finally atoms of elements like hydrogen, helium. Over a period of time, galaxies, stars and planets were formed.

    There are many theories on how the universe could end. One theory as specified at http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/02/19/172422921/if-higgs-boson-calculations-are-right-a-catastrophic-bubble-could-end-universe indicates that the universe is at the edge of stability and a bubble of vacuum could result in the destruction of the universe. Another theory called the Big Bounce suggests that the universe collapses, which leads to another Big Bang, the cycle repeating itself.

    Thus, the formation of atoms is linked to the Big Bang, derived from the elementary sub-atomic particles that were formed first. http://www.universeadventure.org/eras/era1-plankepoch.htm shows that the universe expanded to 10 ** 27 in the first 10 ** (-44) seconds after the big bang. It is after this that Einstein's famous equation E = m * c ** 2 comes into play. The same website shows how matter is converted into energy, 10 ** (-12) seconds after the Big Bang.

    In the period from 10 ** (-12) seconds after the Big Bang to 10 ** 2 (100 seconds), atoms and nuclei were formed and there was a decoupling of light and matter leading to the Cosmic Microwave Background. At this stage, the interaction between matter and light decreased, leading to the separation.

    Until this time though, energy and matter were together entwined. This is explained well in http://www.universeadventure.org/eras/era2-particles.htm.

    My feeling is that Capra refers to this phenomenon when he refers to sub-atomic particles not just PERFORMING an energy dance, but BEING the dance. The other phenomenon I can think of is the wave particle duality of light. Light can be considered as a particle (photon) and also as a wave. The web page http://www.howstuffworks.com/light6.htm describes the duality theory. Light is both a particle and wave.

    Thus, there is a strange parallel between modern science (Higgs boson, quarks) and Hindu mythology which speaks of cycles of creation and destruction. Instead of a final full stop of the end of the universe, it is re-assuring to contemplate that the full stop may, after all, be a comma and the universe would (quite literally !) burst forth again.

Comments