Skip to main content

The Final Race

    A bright dawn broke over the village. The handsome and broad shouldered Nirmal had been up long before the sun rose, as was his custom. Today was an eventful day  : the day of his final race with Samarth. Nirmal and Samarth were the two famous climbers who had earned the admiration of all villagers. Among the two, Nirmal was the clear favorite of the villagers.

    Their village was surrounded by hills. It was natural that the villagers appreciated mountain climbing and trekking. The village was famous primarily for its hills and for its climbers, who often set up races to climb the hills and return. The races lasted hours and beginning early in the morning, would end in the evening. The people of the village enjoyed the climbs and the races. A good race and a good climber could stop work in the village for a few hours easily ! To each villager, climbing was a natural progression from walking. Outsiders visited the village to see the hills and marvel at the skills of the climbers, but to the villagers themselves, it was a natural activity.

    Even among the villagers themselves, Nirmal was undoubtedly the foremost. Starting as a young climber, his energy and skill in climbing the hills earned the appreciation of connoisseurs and public alike. No matter how challenging the climb, Nirmal made it appear simple. Somehow, he would use the tools at his disposal, combined with the skill in his hands and feet and make the ascent appear simple. At other times, the way he would identify a path among the rocks and trees in the way upwards earned the admiration of villagers.

    Now, time had taken its toll on both Nirmal and Samarth. The strength in their arms had decreased and their feet were not as nimble and supple as they had been a few years ago. The worst part was that their reflexes had also slowed a little, which made the mountain climbing and racing difficult. After this race, both of them had decided to stop climbing the peaks of hills and mountains and racing, whether as individuals or in a team.

    Nirmal had got up and finished doing his daily exercises. It was a ritual that he seldom missed, no matter how tiring the previous day was. It was only when he was unwell that he missed his routine. Getting up in the morning and getting ready was like a stimulant for him. No matter how many climbs he had completed, the feeling of exhilaration lasted like a temporary intoxication. What was permanent was the joy of the climb itself and the feeling of anticipation while preparing for the climb ! Nirmal relished the feeling, much like he had experienced when he first started climbing many years ago.

    In his room, the lean and blue-eyed Samarth got up before the first rays of the sun illuminated it. He took a deep breath as he thought of the race ahead. Of course, the race was a mere formality but the thrill of competition against a hero like Nirmal still made it an exciting one. In the village, there were other climbers in the village, Samarth was one among the most famous. People admired him for his resolve and grit. No matter, how high the peak or how tough the weather, if things went wrong, Samarth was the man that the villagers could count on, to climb the peak. More often than not, if there was an ascent and the weather was predicted to be stormy, it would be Samarth who would lead the race.

    Nirmal and Samarth had competed against each other and had also climbed together in the team races. As the years went by Samarth went in for fewer races while Nirmal continued to indulge his passion of climbing, participating in all races and climbs. Now, both had decided that the time had come when they would stop, but the villagers entreated both of them to race one final time. The prospect of facing each other appealed to Nirmal and Samarth and they agreed.

    It was late afternoon when a substantial crowd gathered in the center of the village. Nirmal and Samarth came to the race together, smiling and chatting. They had contested in too many races for there to be any bitterness. Besides, they had also partnered in some treacherous climbs. Each knew the strengths and weaknesses of the other.

    "So it ends today", remarked a slightly nervous Samarth to Nirmal as they shook hands before the race began. Nirmal nodded. He noticed the nervous excitement and recognized it in himself also. With a start, he realized that he would be experiencing the sensation of apprehension before the race for the last time. As the realization dawned, he clasped Samarth's hand with his other hand. "Yes: the final race", he said and released his hands. The two of them smiled as the significance of the time struck both.

    The race started as planned. Both Nirmal and Samarth started strongly. Nirmal led for most of the road up to the base of the hill that was the first destination for the day. The race was to climb the hill, go around it and then come around the bend into the village square.

    The villagers marveled at both the climbers, but as usual it was Nirmal's agility and strength that earned the crowd's appreciation. Samarth knew that it would be tough to beat Nirmal. Nirmal began the ascent of the hill cautiously. The crowd had a clear view of both climbers. There were comments and gasps of admiration as both climbers covered the course. As the climbers went around the hill, Nirmal slowed down a little. Much like the tortoise in the fable of the hare and tortoise, Samarth made up ground. However, once the peak was reached and the climbers went around the hill, it was Nirmal who found fresh energy in the downward slope. It appeared that Nirmal would easily be the winner. Straining himself, Samarth somehow kept apace with Nirmal, a few steps behind him.

     Nirmal paused just before the bend that led to the village square. From this point, the race was more like a sprint. It was rare that somebody who came into the bend leading a race had lost it. Samarth noticed that Nirmal had slowed down. Just a few steps behind, he seized the opportunity and edged slightly ahead of Nirmal. As they came into the bend, the race was neck and neck. The villagers saw the close race and yelled out their favourites' names. Samarth managed to retain his narrow lead.

      As they neared the finish line, he paused and thought : "Just why did Nirmal ease up before the bend ? It is unlike him ! Did the thought of the final race slow him down ? Or ...." The thought entered Samarth's head that Nirmal may have deliberately slowed down. Unwilling to accept a win out of charity, Samarth also consciously slowed down and looked at Nirmal and said: "Nirmal, I do believe that you have forgotten your thirst for success in your last race !" Nirmal smiled and also slowed down : "Do you really believe that you don't deserve this win? At the bend, you were only a few steps behind me. This race is yours to win." The villagers were astounded to see the two of them slow down in sight of the finishing line.

     A little perplexed, Samarth crossed over the finish line first. The crowd cheered the winner. Nirmal also applauded Samarth's strong performance. The villagers urged the winner to talk. Samarth looked at Nirmal, who also nodded. Samarth climbed a small platform as the villagers assembled around it.

     Samarth began his speech : "All of you are assembled to hear the winner's speech. However, just like me, you must know that Nirmal is the actual winner of this race, though I may have crossed the line first. Rather than saying that I have won the race, a better description would be to say that Nirmal let me win the race. After I speak what I want to say, I request him to also address us also." The crowd erupted with applause when Samarth ended this sentence. Nirmal looked a little surprised, since the tradition in the village was that only the winner took the prize and said a few words.

     Samarth said : "I promise that my speech will be brief, unlike the speeches that our politicians make ! Like you I would like to hear Nirmal speak and share his knowledge. Today, he and I have decided to stop racing and climbing. Both of us were a little tense as we began the race. Still, I am glad that I had the privilege of racing with Nirmal and admire his skills. For most of the race, I had the best view of his skills."

     Pointing out Nirmal, Samarth mused : "Today was another race when I thought I would end up with mixed emotions. Whenever I race with Nirmal, it is usually he who wins. There have been times in the beginning of my career when I felt bitter towards Nirmal. It was unfair that despite all my effort, he would effortlessly win the race ! I felt that when he was always in the limelight, I was doomed to be in the shadows. It took me quite some time to observe Nirmal's commitment and dedication to become a winner. After that, when he won, I would feel hurt at my loss but I would also feel energized. The way Nirmal performed in races was an inspiration. So, rather than him being in the limelight, I would say that he was like light itself to me, and others like me. The dedication and zest for climbing that Nirmal displayed became a benchmark for me."

     Samarth continued : "Each of us comes born with few skills. For some it may be music, for others, the ability to crunch numbers. It is up to us to develop them as we can. I have always believed in doing the best that I can no matter how tough the environment. In the sport that I chose, that is often a literal truth ! There are days when the weather is cloudy or it rains heavily. The paths become treacherous and slippery and visibility reduces. To me the challenge makes life exciting."

     The conversation died down as the villagers strained to hear Samarth talk of his talent. Samarth said : "All my climbing life, I believed that work is worship. I prepared for the worst and respected my work. Climbing the hills was as good as a prayer for me. Whenever the conditions became difficult, it was my training and preparation that assisted me. Knowing that I had strength in my legs and trusting my other senses when visibility was poor, I ventured into the peaks during stormy days and foggy mornings. There was risk, but courage, preparation, focus on the basics of climbing and steely persistence can take a person through any situation, I believe."

    Samarth paused and looked at Nirmal. His voice shook a little as he said : "However, it would be extremely incorrect if I clam the credit for my achievements only to myself. There is a rock in one of the peaks that is extremely tricky to negotiate. When I first climbed it during a team race, I was last in my team and the rock looked as imposing as a hill itself. When I wondered if I could climb it and not plummet into the depths below, it was one hand that stretched out and one voice that encouraged me. That hand and that voice belonged to Nirmal, who knew the fear that the rock caused among climbers who saw it for the first time. He knew that a helping hand was required for me and he was there. After I climbed the rock, it was he who smiled and urged me to join the rest of the team along with him."

    The people of the village murmured among themselves about this little known fact about Nirmal. It was another point in his greatness.

    Samarth told the crowd : "There have been other helping hands. Climbing high peaks is a sport for teams, but even while climbing individual peaks, a climber cannot hope to be one of the best without learning from tips that are passed on by seniors. However, it is Nirmal to whom I owe the deepest debt of gratitude. Climbing requires physical fitness : strong limbs and keen reflexes are mandatory characteristics for anybody who wants to be a successful climber. What few realize that it is also a mental sport : what is equally important is to possess the courage to face danger and hurt and patience and perseverance. Hence, my advice to budding climbers is to focus on preparation. Just because a tall peak has been climbed, please do not relax. Nirmal is a fine example of a true hero. I have not seen him give up on his exercises often - and I myself am very regular about keeping myself fit ! If one way is blocked, he looks at alternatives and somehow his eyes find the most suitable path. To conclude, I would say that the glory of the sun is reflected in the waters of the lake. All of us are like these reflections. However, in our village, there is only one sun - and that sun is Nirmal ! Now, I will not keep you waiting any more. Let us all listen to Nirmal."

    The crowd applauded Samarth, appreciating his point of view regarding preparation and coping with challenges. As Nirmal got up, a respectful hush descended.

     Nirmal began : "Samarth has praised me and said that I am the true winner today. I think he is wrong. Let me see if I can explain why I feel so."

     The crowd looked expectantly at Nirmal. He said : "Like Samarth explained, all of us are born with strengths. Sometimes, we recognize these strengths ; sometimes it takes an outsider to point them out for us. Even if an outsider does that, it is up to us to listen, recognize the strength and then capitalize on it. I believe that I was born to climb. Even as a child when I looked at the lofty peaks of the hills in our village, I would wonder what lay on the top. The curiosity led to my interest in climbing which increased over time. The curiosity I felt continued to exist over the years. Even today, though I have climbed the hill many times, I kept thinking about how I could climb it better. To me a small race is as important as the most important climb. Irrespective of the type of race, my nature is to enter any race and compete - and win ! Winning is the goal that drives me. However, let me tell you something that you may not know : while winning is important, it is not the only reason why I like climbing. Indeed, the thrill of competition, the excitement of finding a new way upwards, feeling the ground and the brush of trees while exploring a new path, all those are just as important."

     Nirmal continued : "At the same time, the peers around us also influence us. It was Sir Isaac Newton who wrote in one of his letters : 'If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' Samarth said that I had helped him out when he faced a rock in one of our team climbs. What he does not know is that I have also got similar assistance from him - and from other competitors." Nirmal paused for breath and then said : "In any race, I believe that it is the quality of competition that determines whether there will be records. Climbers like Samarth are the reason why success bestowed its blessings on me. It is his persistence and sticky doggedness that spurred me to improve so that I would win."

     In a louder voice, Nirmal said : "The splendor and magnificence of a palace is dependent on its foundation. When I raced, people saw the end result. The foundation for my success was the daily practice and the stimulation I got from competitors like Samarth."

     Nirmal continued : "Samarth said that work is worship to him. I believe him since I have seen the way in which he prepares, irrespective of whether the climate is good or not. This is extremely important. To me, climbing or work is not worship."

     The crowd expressed surprise when Nirmal said these words. He continued : "Indeed, to me, climbing goes beyond worship. To me, it is like the breath I take. I cannot think of an existence without climbing ! To me, even deep in my sleep, the hills and the races beckon. It is as natural to me as going to school is for children. Every step in the climb is an adventure. If I am to be admired, let it be for this reason: I find joy in each step of the race and in every small stone that I climb. This may surprise you but let me say it : if I were given a choice to participate in 10 races and end up losing them or participate in 1 race  where I win, I would choose the first." This silenced the villagers and then a huge buzz erupted among the people. Nirmal explained : "You see, what is more critical to me is to enjoy climbing. Yes, winning is a goal for me. However, if I lose, I would still accept it, provided I knew that I had done the best that I could. What I would never give up on is the sheer joy of climbing itself, irrespective of the result of the race."

     Finally, Nirmal concluded : "I see the same attitude displayed by Samarth. I feel that only his words are different, but the thought is the same. He calls it worship, I call it passion. I remember hearing him remark to me : 'Find a job that you like and you will not work a single day !' He and I are privileged to have experienced this feeling. To him and me, the climb or the challenge in the race itself is the source of pleasure. The means to the end are as important as the end itself. In the way he has handled himself over the years, it is only today that I realize how similar Samarth and I are ! My win is as good as his win. Both of us are similar at the core or essence, though it appears that I have been favored more by fame. Therefore, Samarth is as deserving a winner as I am. If I have any lessons to communicate let it be this : Do what you like with dedication ; focus on the goals and above all, enjoy the journey to reach the goal, though the journey itself may be painful !"

    Nirmal stepped down from the platform. The day was drawing to a close. As the sun set behind the hills, an enlightened throng of villagers headed back to their homes.

    Notes from Kiran: 1.) This is the first time that I have tried to write a story. It sounds amateurish and (dare I say it ?!) unexciting.
2.) However, I wanted to write this story desperately. I started this blog post on 03-Nov-13 and finished it only today. The trigger for this blog is the retirement of Sachin Tendulkar. Today, he is not out on 38 in his 200th test match. I hope he makes a 100, but if he doesn't that is OK. The TV camera focused on his mother, his wife and his two children. The radio channels and the print media in India have gone to town covering his impending retirement. There is a lot of hype (too much ?! Perhaps !) on his retirement. I feel to some extent the hype is justified. Sachin in form was a treat to watch on the cricket field. His innate talent was combined with a fierce passion for the game. His humility endeared us to him all the more.
    Just a few months earlier, India also lost  another batting stalwart, Rahul Dravid to retirement. Dravid's technique, team work and gutsy attitude were probably underrated. He deserves just as much kudos as Sachin, in my opinion. It is rare that a team can have two such stalwarts at the same time. It is something special.
    Dravid and Sachin met in the Champions League T20 final in the beginning of October. I felt that it was a special and even historic contest. The two veterans faced each other and Dravid bowed out. Shortly, Tendulkar also announced his retirement falls. My earlier blog http://fewidlethoughts.blogspot.in/2012/12/thank-you-masters.html has a tribute to them. Since then, I felt I had to write another tribute that would fit them better. This blog is my second tribute to Sachin and Dravid.
3.) Our country lacks idols that we can learn from. The ones that come to my mind immediately are Dr. Abdul Kalam, Amitabh Bachchan, Narayan Murthy (to a large extent) and Sachin Tendulkar. In sports, to me, Sachin, Dravid and Navjot Singh Sidhu (for the way in which he re-invented himself) are worthy of emulating.
4.) I don't know much about trekking or climbing. The most climbing I have done is climbing up 5 floors. I huffed and puffed when I completed it and since then I felt that writing about climbing is better than climbing itself !

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one.... you can be a good personality development Guru!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Holla, I was away from Bengaluru for the last week, on leave. I thank you for the comments.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment