Skip to main content

REVIEW OF "THE CURSE OF SURYA"

    This blog post is about a book called "The Curse of Surya" by Dev Prasad available at http://www.flipkart.com/curse-surya-english/p/itme6whmybqh3zzs.





    I started reading "The Curse of Surya" and found myself drawn into the legends shown in the book. Before visiting Gujarat last year (my blog on the trip is available at http://fewidlethoughts.blogspot.in/2014/11/gujarat-and-faith_23.html), the author Dev Prasad's first book gave me many useful tips about places around Dwarka and Somnath. These mythological nuggets are also present in "The Curse of Surya". In fact, his first book: "Krishna, A journey through the lands and legends of Krishna", available at http://www.amazon.com/Krishna-journey-through-Lands-Legends/dp/8184951701 describes many places associated with Lord Krishna's life and also narrates legends associated with Lord Krishna and those places. I consider myself reasonably familiar with the stories associated with the Mahabharata and Lord Krishna, but this book made me realise how little I actually knew !

    In a sense, "The Curse of Surya" marks a logical progression from Dev's first book. The basic story is of three protagonists on a treasure hunt. An intrepid television reporter accompanied by two other individuals become involved in locating a legendary stone given the Hindu Sun God Surya to a devotee. They are pursued by the police and have to unravel ancient clues to locate the stone.  I don't want to get into too many details of the book, but I request people to read the book.

    Personally, beginning the book on a Thursday, I finished the book at a stretch on Saturday morning. The book kept my curiosity engaged for the weekend and is quite a good page-turner.

    In my opinion, "The Curse of Surya" is the Indian equivalent of "The Da Vinci Code". The book provides an insight into the lesser known legends of Hindu mythology, very skilfully woven into a thrilling storyline.
Like me, if Hindu mythology interests you, I strongly recommend picking up the book for a light read.

Comments