Skip to main content

Motorcycle ride in the rain

    On Thursday, 4-Sep-03, I thought of a simple solution to the increased traffic problem after the rain in my city : I came home driving in the rain !

    It was not as simple as it sounds.

    When I saw the rain outside the windows at work, I actually turned back and decided to go later. On a second thought, I felt it was better I left in the rain. If I waited for it to stop, I would be joining the majority of two wheelers who would leave after the rain reduces or stops ! Turning my back on the comfortable office interiors, I revved my bike into action and set out into the rain.

    It was terrible ! The rain was actually a heavy drizzle. However, as I opened the throttle on my bike, the coldness of the rain seeped into me, numbing me in a matter of minutes. I flatter myself that I can withstand the cold as good as anybody at home, if not better. Yet, the coldness of the rain was something that I could not bear. It didn't help that I didn't have my rain coat.

    The intensity of the rain increased, exactly as I drove along a stretch of road without any welcoming shop-fronts where I could park my bike and wait ! I found my teeth clenched firmly shut. Around me, I could see the rain like a curtain of beads in front of the bright yellow sodium light. By this time, my teeth were chattering. My arms and legs too were shivering and I deliberately relaxed them to ease out the feeling of coldness. Chastened by the rain and the sudden feeling of coldness, I drove slowly along the road.

    There is a signal where four roads meet, an important circle. Whenever I get a red signal, I normally wait for it to turn green with some resignation. Today, I was thankful for any stoppage which delayed the facing of the rain and the cold ! Where I stopped for the signal, the road slopes down. I saw a small stream of water flowing down the gradient naturally. It was like a brooklet and I wondered if the condition of the road ahead was worse.

    It wasn't too bad, luckily. There was standing water on the roads. As cars sped through them, the spray of water splashed on other vehicles. I decided to drive extra slowly, giving the big guys ample leeway. The last thing I wanted was to be stranded in the late evening with water in my bike's carburettor or engine in a downpour that seemed like it would never stop !

    One good aspect of the drive was that I was right : there were lesser of my two-wheeled counterparts on the road ! The other good aspect was that half way to my memorable journey home, the rain stopped. I immediately felt better as far as the cold is considered ! Even as I opened the throttle, I realised that there would be more traffic on the roads.

    By this time, I was out of the main roads. I could see people emerge from shop fronts and from beneath the shelter of massive trees, stepping on to their two-wheelers. I could see others stepping out gingerly to check if it was "driveable".

    Nearing home, I found the roads bone dry. The drive home also dried me up to some extent. As I approached home, I realised that it was difficult to judge that I had been totally drenched. My limbs had dried and it was only the condition of my apparel and my bike that indicated the rain. By the time, I dismounted my bike, I had a song on my lips !

    It was bad when the rain was pouring, but in the end, all was well that ended well !


*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

NOTE:

    I had originally written this blog in another site. Since that site is no longer accessible, I am uploading it in this blog at http://fewidlethoughts.blogspot.in/ using the same date as the original blog dates.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
=============================
COMMON TEXT FOR ALL BLOGS
=============================

++++++
BEGINS
++++++

When I created my first blog, I thought I was being clever by
being "anonymous" and let my opinions speak for themselves (see
the archive !) Imagine my embarrassment when I saw my name
displayed ! So now, while I still retain the blog name as
"Anonymous Expressions", I will only request you to ignore my
name and concentrate on my opinions instead !

The opinions expressed in the Weblogs are my personal
opinions. Please tell me if you spot any factual mistakes or
don't like the way I have expressed a view. If I can see your
point, I will correct the mistake. You can contact me by
emailing me at kiran.suma@gmail.com.
++++++
ENDS
++++++

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Comments